It is well documented that cell phone use while driving contributes to distracted driving. The act of typing in a number and then holding a device while driving with a single hand on the wheel is most definitely adding to accidents and distracted driving mishaps. A hands-free mobile phone system like Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ can minimize such issues, allowing drivers to do a variety of things without ever taking their eyes off the road or their hands off the steering wheel.
Nissan really has the jump on technology. But sometimes consumers don’t take advantage of the high-tech features. This blog will help you learn more about the Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ features available in many 2019 Nissans like the Rogue, Altima, and Sentra.
HERE ARE SOME HANDY “HOW TO” TIPS:
Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant
- You can activate the Assistant by pressing a button on the steering wheel
- If you say, “Read Text,” the assistant will read out your messages to you.
- If you say, “Next Text,” you can move on to the next text that was recorded in the Nissan Connect system.
- You can also respond or send a new text message to someone by saying “Send text message to..” followed by the contact’s name.
- Or you can choose one of the many pre-written messages like: On my way, Running late, Driving, can’t text, etc.
- You can also customize your own messages and add them into the list of pre-written messages.
Hands-Free Calling – Bluetooth Feature
- You can accept a call by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel.
- You can use this feature with simple voice commands. For example, if you want to call someone:
- You can just say, “Call” and say the person’s name from your contacts
- Or say, “Dial Number” and say that person’s phone number
Android Auto™ supports SMS and offers integration with third-party messaging apps like Google Hangout, WhatsApp, Skype, ICQ, Kik, and others.
Apple CarPlay® on the other hand, supports SMS, iMessages, and the third-party messaging app, WhatsApp.
When it comes to music, both Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay® offer a variety of integration with third-party audio streaming apps, apart from their native audio apps like Google Play, Music, and iTunes. This makes it easy for you to play music from any streaming services you use.
Apple CarPlay® has the same options as services like Spotify. Users have options on the home screen for playlists, browsing music, and 'Now Playing' information.
Similarly, the audio interface of Android Auto™ includes the same options that Android users are familiar with, like what’s playing next, playlists, recently played, and shuffle.
You can use available navigation apps to get real-time traffic alerts and avoid road hazards, speed traps, or find the fastest route. Or see where you can take a break and find a bite along the way.
Ultimately, when it comes to cellphone safety, Nissan has you covered! For assistance with any of these tips you can go to any of the 7 local San Diego Mossy Nissan dealers, where our staff will gladly help you set up your phone or take you through the high-tech features. Stay safe!
*Driving is serious business and requires your full attention. Only use features and connected devices when safe and legal to do so.