Nissan Unveils Customized Chicago NV200 Taxi Cab
CHICAGO - Following its introduction in New York City as the city's newest taxi, Nissan unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show a customized Chicago taxi featuring more content tailored to the unique needs of metropolitan cab service than ever before.
Chicago has about 7,000 cabs in service, and Nissan wants those who know them best - taxi riders and drivers - to engage in dialogue about what features make for a better taxi experience. The public can share their thoughts through social media such as Twitter or Facebook using #HailYes.
The Nissan NV200 taxi's green and white design expresses a modern take on a historically popular Chicago taxi color. The Chicago NV200 taxi offers USB charging, anti-fatigue driver's seats, panoramic sky views of the city, reduced odors, improved leg room, more cargo space, passenger safety and other conveniences that no other taxi offers.
The Nissan NV200 is the only taxi on the market to have been crash-tested with the partition installed. Because the partition and equipment are designed to custom-fit the vehicle, passenger safety is improved by rounded edges and fully functioning airbags — features that many taxis do not have.
"With great feedback from drivers, riders and media in New York, we've had a number of dealers across the country raise their hands to get a supply of NV200 taxis for cities such as Seattle, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City and across Texas. We think Chicago is a natural fit for the premium taxi experience NV200 delivers at a competitive price," said Fred Diaz, senior vice president, Nissan Sales & Marketing, Parts & Service, U.S.A.
"Nissan's #HailYes campaign will engage Chicagoans in conversation about what's needed for a better taxi experience in the city," said Diaz. "The solution for an improved taxi isn't a pipe dream; it's already here. We'd love to see those visiting or watching coverage of the Chicago Auto Show voice their support with a
#HailYes shout-out in social media for the NV200 taxi."
Drawing on insight from taxi drivers, fleet owners and passengers, the Nissan NV200 taxi aims to provide the comfort and convenience of black-car service in an everyday taxi you can hail on the street. One of the Nissan NV200 taxi's popular design elements is the transparent roof that gives riders stunning views of Chicago city sights and skyscrapers.
Other features include:
- Ample room for four passengers and their luggage, offering substantial improvements over current and recently unveiled taxi models
- Sliding doors with entry step and grab handles, providing easy entry and exit
- Opening side windows
- Independently controlled, rear air conditioning
- Active carbon-lined headliner to help neutralize interior odors
- Overhead reading lights for passengers and floor lighting to help locate belongings
- Mobile charging ports for passengers, including a 12-volt electrical outlet and two USB ports
- Breathable, germ-fighting, durable and easy-to-clean seat fabric, simulating the look and feel of leather
- Flat "no hump" passenger floor area for more comfortable ride
- Roof-mounted curtain supplemental air bags for side-impact and rollover protection for all outboard occupants - the NV200 taxi is the first taxi to be crash-tested with taxi equipment installed, including the partition
Other notable NV200 taxi features focus on driver comfort, customer satisfaction and the environment:
- A low-annoyance horn with exterior lights that indicate when the vehicle is honking, so the horn is used less frequently
- Hearing Loop System for the hearing impaired
- Driver and passenger intercom system
- Proven 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrain, engineered to enhance the emission performance and fuel efficiency of the taxi fleet
- 150,000-mile powertrain limited warranty
- A 6-way adjustable driver's seat featuring both recline and lumbar adjustments, even with a partition installed
- Unique driver's seat material and stitching to promote improved airflow
- USB auxiliary audio input and charge port for driver
- Standard navigation system with integrated "RearView Monitor"
- Taxi wiring and installation provisions